Use the requisition number on all correspondence related to the search. The search chair and committee members may find the following checklist helpful.
BEFORE ADVERTISING, SECURE APPROVAL FOR YOUR ADVERTISEMENT:
- Refer to the Faculty Hiring Guide. Pages 6-9 of the guide delineate the guidelines for writing your ads and position announcements.
- Write your minimum qualifications very carefully. YOU MAY USE ONLY REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AS THE BASIS FOR ELIMINATING APPLICANTS FROM YOUR POOL. In other words, if you also list "preferred" qualifications, those qualifications may not be used as a basis to eliminate an applicant. Once you have interviewed and you are ready to make recommendations for hiring, preferred qualifications may be used to distinguish between finalists.
BEFORE INTERVIEWING, SECURE APPROVAL FOR YOUR ON-CAMPUS INTERVIEW POOL:
- Refer to Tips on Narrowing the Applicant Pool in the online Hiring Toolkit for information on candidate screening and selection. Those selected for interview must meet each and every requirement as stated in the ad.
- As you choose your interview pool, you may wish to create a second tier pool from which you will choose other finalists, should it be necessary to return to your applicant pool to identify more interviewees. You are allowed to identify a small number of applicants whom you would consider in a second tier, which can be noted in the “Other Comments” section when preparing a Pre-Interview Report.
- Refer to the Faculty Hiring Guide. Pages 9-11 provide information on securing approval for your on-campus interview pool.
WITH BOTH ADVERTISEMENT APPROVAL AND POOL APPROVAL, PLEASE ALLOW ADEQUATE TIME FOR A THOROUGH REVIEW OF YOUR SEARCH. ALLOW FOR THIS APPROVAL TIME IN YOUR OVERALL TIME LINE.
If you wish to have a representative of this office meet with the search committee chair and/or committee to review the recruitment process, please contact our office at (319) 273-2846.