Confidentiality refers to the protection of disclosed information in legally-protected settings. Privacy acknowledges discretion will be exercised in he course of an investigation or case.
Seek an Advocate.
An advocate provides support and complete confidentiality, answers questions, gives information about options and additional resources, and assists with the options a complainant may choose to pursue. All parties have the right to have an advocate/advisor attend appointments, meetings, and procedures with them. Advocates are not attorneys and cannot provide legal advice.
- Accompany individuals to emergency room visits and follow-up appointments.
- Assist in obtaining protective orders.
- Accompany individuals to meetings and investigative interviews.
- Provide support and understanding of the court systems and university procedures.
- Act as liaison between an individual and the legal system and/or university process.
- Make referrals when needed.
Below are list of local agencies that provide advocacy services:
Riverview Center Crisis Line & Sexual Assault Advocate (24/7 availability) – 888-557-0310
Waypoint Services Crisis Line & Relationship Violence Advocate (24/ availability) – 800-208-0388
Amani Community Service (African American Community) – 888-983-2533
Monsoon Asians and Pacific Islanders in Solidarity – (515) 288-0881
Seek a Counselor.
UNI Counseling Center (24/7 availability) – 319.273.2676